With the growth of technology in the world, everything is turning online providing a lot of benefits to the users from almost all point of views. There is a huge popularity of a online library management system in almost all schools and colleges and the top authorities are finding them quite beneficial for both students as well as faculties to continue with their work with such a robust automated system. A comprehensive online Library management system can provide important information about the books available in the library, which are essential for a student interested in studies. Infact the online transformation of a library has proved to be a boon for schools, colleges and universities because that helps them to reduce cost as well as operational hazards which gave them quite a lot problems in the offline approach.
In a college or a university, there is a huge number of students and hence there arises a need of a similar structured library in order to cater to their educational needs. Infrastructure is the first problem that these institutions face because a huge library needs a huge space. With online library management system, the librarians have eliminated the need of such a huge place and have been able to confine the work within a single machine only to save their time and money along with increasing efficiency and effectiveness.
Here are few benefits you can go through that an online library management system provides:
- Catalogue creation and management: Perhaps the toughest part of the system that needs attention and time from an employee because he or she needs to go though each book and create catalogues for it to keep a track of the borrowing details. With online transformation, there are programs that generate book ids and library cards for every book, which the users can take print out of and work in similar fashion. The cataloguing can be done for books, magazines, CD’s, presentations, project reports, PDF files and many more with just a click of a button, giving the librarian an opportunity to operate in a smooth fashion.
- Easy maintenance: It is easy to maintain such a online catalogue for a librarian and at a glance, he or she can figure out the date of issue, reissue and submission of books in the library for a particular book or an user. This gives lots of benefits to an user as well who can find out his or her status of the number of books he or she has borrowed from the library only to keep a track. This saves lots of time for the librarian and the user as the latter doesn’t have to physically be present at the venue to collect the information.
- Everything is automated: starting from catalogue maintenance to acquisition of books or materials and everything else is automated through online Library management systems. Users can go though the list of available books, request for hiring, check his or her status of number of books collected or can be acquired, till the submission of the same-all tasks can be done with just a click of a button at ease.
- Ease of error free information retrieval: One can get comprehensive information about a book or other documents with online Libraries because every information is fed into a central server which recognizes smart cards provided to the users from the librarian. Whenever the user or the librarian inserts his or her card into the machine interface, every detail is being displayed which helps them to act according to the current status. This is more productive for a librarian because earlier, he or she had to sit and keep a manual track of each member’s records which were prone to error.
- Acquisition and circulation of books becomes faster and better: The former form the base of any library and hence the librarian can conduct the entire process of providing suggestions, requesting proposals, proving quotations, purchasing, invoice generation, and acquiring of the books with just simple clicks of buttons through a well designed library management system at ease. Circulation of books is also automated that includes member ID card generation, Article indexing, barcode generation, and other official information to make the operations smooth for a library.
Thus it is evident that an online library management system software can provide several benefits to a librarian of an university or a college who has to take care of lots of students as well as faculties. The system is configurable and can be customized and scaled as per the requirement. It is easy to learn and anyone with a basic t of computers can understand how they work with easy interfaces and click of buttons. Such libraries can function for 24/7 and they have become quite a good replacement for a brick and mortar library today. You can see an infographic which help you select the right school management software solution.