Here is how the top Indian websites looked when they launched.
- Naukri.com : Launched in 1997, as a recruitment classifieds is now India’s largest Job portal. As of march 31,2014 Naukri.com had a database of about 37 million registered job seekers and an average of about 11,000 resumes were added daily while about 130,000 resumes were modified daily during the Fiscal year 2013-14. Here is a first look of naukri.com, started with a simple webpage containing simple message “Job and career website of India”
- Myntra.com (29.6.2007) – Founded in 2007 as on-demand personalization of gift items, with site operating on B2B (business to business) model during its initial years. Between 2007 and 2010, the online portal allowed customers to personalize 15 products such as t-shirts, mugs, mouse pads, calendars, watches, teddy bears, pendants, wine glasses and jigsaw puzzles.
- JustDial : Known as an Indian Google, JustDial initially operated on telephone has recently addressed 1125 million searches from millions of users across platforms on justdial. It looked like simple browsing website when it was launched way back on 18 Nov. 1998.
- Flipkart.com : Started as online book store in 2007, today it is India’s Largest ECommerce Platform and sells products which include movies, music, games, mobiles, cameras, computers, healthcare and personal products, home appliances and electronics, stationery, perfumes, toys, apparels, shoes – and the list is unending! Be it a path-breaking services like Cash on Delivery, a 30-day replacement policy, EMI options, free shipping – everything they do revolves around ensuring memorable online shopping experience for customers. See how they started with!!
- 5. Snapdeal.com : It is India’s largest marketplace with 6000 + featured brand, 4 million + product listed over 500+ categories and delivered in more than 4000 cities. Every 2 minutes snapdeal sell a saree, a mobile phone and four pair of footwear’s and adds 4 new products. From daily deals website to an giant eCommerce Marketplace, here is the first look of snapdeal how it looks when they started.
- Shaadi.com : Launched in 1996 with basic html search, add/update listing of Matrimony profile, Shaadi.com is now the world’s oldest and most successful matrimonial service, trusted since 1996 by 20 million members and 3.2 million couples all over the world who have started their journey with Shaadi.com.
- Rediff.com (10.6.1998): Rediff was one of the first Indian news, information, entertainment and shopping web portal, founded in 1996. Company got listed in BSE on 1995. It is still 39th most visited website according to Alexa. (Rediff.com on 10th June 1998)
- Redbus.in : Phanindar Sharma solved the problem of online bus ticketing by launching Redbus.in on 15th May 2005 and became India’s bus ticket booking website. Currently over more than 10 millions visitors uses. Redbus.in. Initial website. (Website on 16th Sep 2006)
- IndiaTimes: It was the flagship brand owned by Times Internet Limited. It offered News, Sports, Cricket, Astrology, and a number of other things, the portal also offers Shopping & Travel Since 1998.
- IRCTC: IRCTC is known for changing the face of railway ticketing in India. It pioneered internet-based rail ticket booking through its website, as well as from the mobile phones via GPRS or SMS. As of May 2013, the ticketing site of the website was able to handle about 120,000 concurrent connections on web servers and can book about 2000 tickets per minute. Here is the screenshot of IRCTC as on Aug 4, 2002
- IndiaMart.com (Nov 6, 1996) – Launched in 1996 is now India’s largest online B2B marketplace for Small & Medium Size Businesses, connecting global buyers with suppliers. It has over 2600 employees located across 40+ offices in the country.
The archived information has been taken from WayBack Machine.